Click on each Sample Trip above to see more details.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why travel with Boutique Japan?
We’re a small, independent company and intentionally choose to work with a small number of clients at a time. This enables us to give each trip the love and attention it deserves.
If you’re looking for a completely unique, once-in-a-lifetime trip to Japan, we’d be honored to help.
How does your service work?
Learn more about our unique approach and trip planning with us, including essential details about our process, pricing, and more.
When is the best time of year to visit Japan?
Japan is a year-round destination, and we usually recommend taking advantage of any chance to visit, since each of Japan’s seasons is great in its own way.
While we can typically plan around your ideal travel dates, advance planning is essential (check our current availability here).
If your dates are flexible, we recommend reading our in-depth article, When is the best time of year to visit Japan?
Do you offer group tours?
At this time, we focus primarily on private trips.
We work with everyone from solo travelers to couples, families, groups of friends, and private groups.
Are trip extensions possible?
Our sample trips are simply examples. They can be customized to best match your priorities and interests.
The exact details vary, since every trip is completely unique, but a trip with us typically includes:
- A tailor-made itinerary crafted personally for you, based on our in-depth Japan expertise, relationships, and firsthand experience
- All your accommodations, in hotels and ryokans to match your taste and priorities
- In-country transport via the shinkansen (bullet train) and more, with expertly-planned logistics for peace of mind and convenience
- Unique private tours and experiences, with as much (or little) free time as you’d like
- Recommendations for authentic, memorable experiences, including well-known highlights and hidden gems
- Meals at accommodations and during culinary outings
- Extensive pre-departure information to help you prepare for your trip, including expert advice on etiquette, food, packing, Wi-Fi, language, tipping, and more
- A Japan specialist to answer your questions, and thoughtful customer service (including 24/7 emergency assistance during your trip)
How much do things cost in Japan?
Probably not as much as you think.
While Japan may be more expensive than places like Latin America or Southeast Asia, it’s generally less expensive than places like Singapore, Australia, or Scandinavia. See our post, Is Japan expensive?
Is Japan good for families?
Yes, Japan is an amazing family destination.
For more on family travel in Japan, see our article, Is Japan good for families?
Do I need the Japan Rail Pass?
The Japan Rail Pass can be a good way to get around Japan, but most people don’t realize it’s not always the best option.
For a more in-depth approach, see our article, Should you get the Japan Rail Pass?
What is it like to stay in a ryokan?
Staying in a ryokan is a great way to fully immerse yourself in traditional Japanese culture. But for non-Japanese, there can be many surprises, as it’s quite different from staying at a hotel.
Take our virtual ryokan tour to see if it’s right for you. Even if not, in most parts of Japan there are non-ryokan hotel alternatives.
What are your payment terms?
In most cases, a 30% deposit is required at the time of booking, with the balance due 90 days before your trip.
I have so many other questions!
- What should I pack?
- Can you teach me some basic Japanese etiquette?
- Which Japanese words and phrases should I learn?
- Do I need a visa?
Not to worry!
We make sure all of our clients are prepared with extensive pre-departure information – this is simply part of our service.
Anything else I should know?
Japan is an amazing destination for so many reasons. But don’t just take it from us — see what our travelers say.